The new year is upon us – we’re already in the middle of the month! Let me ask you – do you make resolutions? Or maybe you don’t make resolutions, you set intentions. But whatever you may call them, is being kind to mother earth one of them? Do you aspire to being eco-friendly? Practice good green habits? There are a lot of little things we can do in our lives and homes to play a small part if reducing landfill waste, cleaning the air, and preserving the natural land. Here are 10 small easy green choices – pick a couple you’re not already doing and make them a habit.
- Plant a backyard garden
- Create a homemade compost bin
- When it’s time, replace appliances with energy efficient ones (energy star label)
- Wash laundry in cold water instead of hot
- Turn off lights when you leave a room (your dad was right!)
- Support your local economy and shop at your farmer’s markets
- Put a stop to unwanted mail – sign up to opt out of pre-screened credit card offers (https://www.optoutprescreen.com/ )
- Reuse scrap paper – print on two sides or let your kids color on the back side of used paper
- Before buying anything new, check your local Craigslist, Freecycle, or Buy Nothing groups
- Fix leaky faucets
It’s funny, often the green habits are the more frugal options. Being environmentally friendly is good economics – for your home, your budget and with the earth.
So even though Kermit says “It ain’t easy being green”, as you can see, it can be!
Bein’ Green (Ray Charles, The Muppets)
It’s not that easy being green;
Having to spend each day the color of the leaves.
When I think it could be nicer being red, or yellow or gold-
or something much more colorful like that.
It’s not easy being green.
It seems you blend in with so many other ordinary things.
And people tend to pass you over
‘Cause you’re not standing out
Like flashy sparkles in the water-
or stars in the sky.
But green’s the color of Spring.
And green can be cool and friendly-like.
And green can be big like the ocean, or important like a mountain, or tall like a tree.
When green is all there is to be
It could make you wonder why, but why wonder? Why
Wonder, I am green and it’ll do fine, it’s beautiful!
And I think it’s what I want to be.
Photo courtesy of Pixabay