Kirkwood is a national historic designated neighborhood on the east side of Atlanta, Georgia, United States. It is a historic streetcar suburb, and was designed by architect Will Saunders. Kirkwood is situated entirely in DeKalb County, bordered by the neighborhoods of Lake Claire, East Lake, Edgewood, and Oakhurst. Kirkwood is bound on the north by DeKalb Avenue, on the south by Memorial Drive and Interstate 20, on the west by Montgomery Street, and on the east by 1st Ave.
Homes For Sale In Kirkwood
While Kirkwood’s residential community began to flourish by the late 1990s, the community’s business district running along Hosea L. Williams Dr. (Then Boulevard Dr.) remained stagnant. A major problem with any planning efforts gaining traction to raise the quality of the downtown area was the fact that properties along the district had varying zoning designations governing their density and use. In 2001, the community obtained Neighborhood Commercial (NC-3) Zoning that allowed for consistency in planning efforts.
In 2003, work began on Phase I of a $1.5M streetscape project in the district that, coupled with earlier zoning changes, served to create an environment that would attract small business and private commercial development to the area. The streetscape project increased pedestrian access by narrowing street crossings, slowing traffic, installing protected crosswalks and bicycle lanes on Hosea Williams, and building wider decorative sidewalks. The visual element of the project added historic street lighting, removal of several power poles, decorative brick pavers, trash cans and bike racks.
Today, Downtown Kirkwood has become what neighbors call “the small town in the big city,” hosting its own post office, newly constructed fire station, police precinct and public library. Residents and visitors also have a host of shopping and dining options at their disposal, including: day spas, furniture galleries, gift shops, restaurants, bars, a wine store, coffee shops, real estate offices, professional/creative spaces, salons, dance studios, yoga studios, and more.
The Kirkwood Business Owners’ Association (KBOA) represents local businesses and recently installed new gateway signage and landscaping at the main traffic island on Hosea Williams Drive. The KBOA also promotes and markets Kirkwood Events and businesses.
Content courtesy of Wikipedia.org
What To Do
Festivals & Events
- Kirkwood Spring Fling: Each year the KNO ushers in the warm weather with its annual Spring Fling Festival and Tour of Homes. Local residents can sample music, artist market, food, beer and children’s area at Bessie Brahnam Park. Proceeds from the event are committed to local community improvement projects.
- Kirkwood Wine Stroll: The Kirkwood Business Owners Association hosts an annual Wine Stroll each summer where attendees can sample wines from around the world at local businesses.
- Kirkwood Family Find: The Kirkwood Neighborhood and Resonate Church put on this Easter Egg Hunt with 8,000 eggs at Bessie Branham Park. Activities include face painting, games, and more. It has occurred yearly the Saturday before Easter.
- Kirkwood Home For the Holidays: The Kirkwood Neighborhood and Resonate Church celebrate the holidays with a tree lighting, live music, holiday market, and Santa at this downtown Kirkwood event every year.
- B*ATL Event:: Held each July in commemoration of the area’s geographical role as the starting point of the Battle of Atlanta during the civil war, Kirkwood, East Atlanta and East Lake host the B*ATL celebration across their communities. Events include a Gala Dinner and House Tour, a 5K run, van and walking tours, a re-creation of the Frontlines with Re-enactment Soldiers and artillery, a Civil War Village with civilian re-enactors, historic music concerts and dramatic performances, story telling and more.